Friday, June 15, 2012

Introduction - Pound, Virginia

 Responsibility is proportionate to opportunity.
                                                  - Woodrow Wilson 

    I am inspired by the above quote to blog about a trip my husband, Greg Garland, and I are taking this summer. On June 16, we will began driving west to Montana from Virginia. I feel blessed by the opportunity to take this journey. I also feel a sense of responsibility to share my experiences with family, friends, and anyone who may be interested. 


   To travel west is to move toward the sunset.  Any wanderings into the setting sun can be both pleasant and challenging.  It depends on how you time your movements.


    A pleasant westward journey involves leaving early so that the sun is behind you and the cooling western breezes are in front.  Such an environment tends to free emotion, calm anxiety, and create a desire to explore - to wander into new adventures.


   A journey west will always be a challenge if you travel in the afternoon on a cloudless, sunny day.  The glaring sun will not only cause weary eyes, but sometimes will play tricks on your vision by creating shimmering mirages, making it difficult to want to go on.  However, if you  do continue, there is a good possibly of experiencing a breath-taking western sunset.  Maybe we'll be so lucky.   ( By now have you figured out that Greg is going to be a contributor?  Can you tell which of the above paragraphs he wrote?)


   So, I plan on writing about that which I find beautiful, meaningful, peaceful, educational, or spiritual during these wanderings.  I look forward to sparking a conversation with you. 
        Trail along the North Fork Dam 
                      Judy Harding Photo




     My wanderings actually begin on a walk with Judy
 Harding in my hometown the day before leaving for 
Montana.  We encountered these fascinating creatures
only three miles west of my home. The deer looked in our direction, or maybe they were looking beyond us at this
peaceful lake. This experience reminded me that one
doesn't have to go that far west to see beauty.  

North Fork of Pound Lake                Chris Evans Photo



No comments:

Post a Comment